Discover how students' input and expertise can help shape their classroom, their school, and ultimately their own learning and growth.
- As the world closed down, a high school photography assignment captured the imaginations of students and teachers around the country.
- A quick formative assessment tool also encourages all students—even shy ones—to participate in discussions.
- When students and teachers collaborate to create shared behavior expectations, the whole class is invested in the norms.
- Starting the day with this 15-minute activity helps students regulate their emotions and focus on the day’s learning.
- When students lead meetings with their parents and teachers, they gain a voice in their education and develop skills like goal-setting and metacognition.
- Teachers encourage student-centered learning by allowing students to share in decisions, believing in their capacity to lead, and remembering how it feels to learn.
- Students at Pittsfield Middle High School are trained to mediate conflicts between their fellow students—and between students and teachers.