Educators from The College Preparatory School in Oakland, California, have provided these resources and tools for collaborative learning.
December 5, 2012
Resources on This Page:
Click on any link below to view or download that file.
Tips for downloading: PDF files can be viewed on a wide variety of platforms -- both as a browser plug-in or a stand-alone application -- with Adobe's free Acrobat Reader program. Click here to download the latest version of Adobe Reader.
Collaborative Learning Resources
At The College Preparatory School (College Prep) in Oakland, California, student collaboration happens on a daily basis, from group-centered math assignments, to student-led discussions in English. Below are documents provided by College Prep English teacher Julie Anderson and Math teacher Betsy Thomas.
- English classes at College Prep are conducted around a large, oval table called a Harkness Table.
- Discussion tracker - diagram used to map student participation in roundtable discussions
- Online discussions
- Anderson's students often have online discussions prior to in-class discussions.
- Julie Anderson's website - Anderson's public website for students to use for their online discussions
- Online Discussion Guidelines
- Online Responses Guidelines
- Student Responses (example 1) - Sample of online student responses. The assignment for this online discussion was to come up with three questions, one based on the text, one on a discussion question, and one on a personal question. The discussion was about Plato's Allegory of the Cave.
- Student Responses (example 2) - Another example of online student responses. The assignment for this online discussion was to answer one or more of the questions posed by students in the online discussion from the night before. The discussion was about Plato's Allegory of the Cave.
- Note Taking
- Example 1 - Sample of good note taking from a discussion on Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go
- Example 2 - Sample of good note taking from a discussion on Plato's Allegory of the Cave
Student Teaching Days - Handout for students when they are leading the class; includes a calendar and suggestions for the classroom, such as giving short writing assignments, making sure that everyone participates, and creating a unique way of presenting the material
Back to Top
Additional Resources and Videos from College Prep
- Below are excerpts from the handbook:
- Purpose and Philosophy - Overview of philosophy of College Prep that includes respect and consideration for the rights of others, honesty, and adherence to the rules agreed upon by the community
- Academic Information - Summary of all academic information at College Prep, including the grading system and reports, graduation requirements, advance placement, and independent study
- Community Expectations - Summary of community expectations including, attendance, good neighbor policy, and student appearance
Back to Top
Useful Websites on Collaborative Learning