This series of three videos shows how designers and community volunteers helped a teacher at Roosevelt Middle School in San Francisco transform his crowded classroom into a space that fosters collaboration, creativity, and active student learning.
- Watch "Remake Your Class Part 2: Building a Collaborative Learning Environment" on YouTube.
- Watch "Remake Your Class Part 3: Exploring a Collaborative Learning Environment" on YouTube.
- Read a blog by Melanie Kahl with tips for getting started on transforming your learning space.
- Read a blog by David Bill with resources from the remake project you see in the videos above.
The Remake Your Class project would not have been possible without the generous support and participation of the following organizations and volunteers. Most importantly, the entire staff and community of Roosevelt Middle School in San Francisco were very supportive of this film. In addition to teacher Steve Mattice and principal Michael Reimer, special thanks to assistant principal Mimi Kasner; custodians Sue Tran and Bob Mullen, P.E. teacher Whitney Marsh, and school secretary Sherri Miller. Finally, big ups to the RMS seventh (now eighth!) graders who pitched in by painting, building, setting up and cleaning up Mr. Mattice's new classroom.
- Steven Mattice, Math and Science Teacher -- Roosevelt Middle School
- Michael Reimer, Principal -- Roosevelt Middle School
- Christian Long, Designer and Educator -- The Third Teacher+
- Melanie Kahl, Design and Learning Strategist -- The Third Teacher+
- Scott Doorley, Creative Director -- d. school (Stanford University Institute of Design)
- Scott Witthoft, Designer -- d. school (Stanford University Institute of Design)
- David Bill, Education Design Strategist and Educator
- Gever Tulley, Founder and Educator -- San Francisco Brightworks
- Joshua Rothhaas, Auxiliary Programas Coordinator -- San Francisco Brightworks
- Jason Chua, Co-founder -- SparkTruck
- Meg Lee Weir, Design Strategist, Researcher and Educator
- Jenna Wittenberg, Architectural Designer (formerly of The Third Teacher+) -- DSK Architects
- Minnie Bredouw, Senior Interaction Designer -- IDEO
- Bethany Hellerich, Instructional Technology Specialist -- Urban School of San Francisco
- Jenna Ruth, Designer
- Carly Geehr, Community Volunteer
- Autumn Sample, Community Volunteer
- Chase Kurtz, Community Volunteer