How can educators, students, schools, and communities go green? Learn about sustainability, conservation, and other earth-friendly practices and curricula.
- Exploring nature with elementary students can be memorable and fun with a little advance planning and preparation.
- Teachers in diverse disciplines—such as environmental science, language arts, and social studies—are covering climate change.
- Five online tools that encourage students to get hands-on experience with nature.
- Resources from around the web for incorporating Earth Day into your class.
- Mobile greenhouses, art studios, and makerspaces are traveling to underserved kids across the nation—salvaging vulnerable school programs and leveling the playing field to access.
- An outdoor education program builds community and culture, raises expectations and standards, increases connection between students, and develops positive associations around school and the outdoors.
- By helping students connect with the outdoors, nature journaling fosters scientific inquiry, literacy, and environmental stewardship.
- School and community gardens can be used for academic enrichment, where students can learn about nutrition, food security, and ecological sustainability.
- Evidence points to seven key approaches to integrating curricula that have been shown to be effective.
- Read about a social justice-based school that addresses larger issues as a learning community, builds curriculum around service learning, and regularly involves families.
- These traveling art studios, science labs, and greenhouses are reducing barriers to access by meeting students where they are.
- Upcycling happens in a makerspace when design thinking meets hard-to-recycle junk. Inspire students to design and create cool, useful products from trash otherwise destined for landfill.
- Guest blogger Patrick Cook Deegan, a mindfulness mentor and consultant, teaches students about Earth Day by bringing them outside and engaging their senses. He shares six easy steps to help your class appreciate their natural surroundings.
- Jump-start your lesson plans with these videos and resources for students of all ages.
- Cultivate an indoor farm with inspiration from the Green Bronx Machine.