Learn and share ideas about how to engage caring individuals, organizations, and businesses to help schools with resources, mentors, internships, and more.
- Working with a nearby university is a good way for a school to bring in peer mentors and to introduce students to different careers.
- Students are deeply motivated when they review their physics work with professionals in the field.
- Hoping to entice teachers to stick with the job, communities experiment with bold new housing programs.
- A community raised $6 million to construct an innovative 30,000-square-foot facility complete with makerspaces and learning labs.
- Students learn skills like maintaining inventory, marketing, and scheduling while working in a cafe as part of a business class.
- With daily news reports about the devastating impact on students who have been relentlessly bullied, teachers find themselves on the front line in addressing bullying and intolerance. It is time to move into action. Not In Our School offers solutions-based strategies and tools for change to a network of schools that are working to create safe, inclusive and accepting climates.
- Students in India in grades pre-K to 12 use design thinking to create products that address real needs.
- A parent and community organizer shares some resources and great ideas, including the creation of a resource map and connecting with subject matter experts to connect to curriculum.
- Students use scientific inquiry to investigate real-world issues facing their community.
- Family and community involvement play essential roles in the success of schools, explains blogger Anne O'Brien.
- High-poverty schools can involve students' families through home visits and by joining the community's safety net to provide social and medical services for those in need.
- Giving elementary students a project in their community provides a real-world application for their content learning.
- Experts agree that parent involvement in education is a big predictor of student success. So where can parents begin? We've compiled a list of articles, videos, and other resources to help you engage productively with your kids' teachers and school.
- Learn how schools can benefit from the support and expertise of local businesses, organizations, and individuals, and discover strategies for fostering successful business and community partnerships.
- Instead of punitive discipline that limits students’ potential, we must adopt a more holistic approach and address the life circumstances that are causing their behavior.