Project-Based Learning (PBL)
Downloads and Resources from Forest Lake Elementary
Free tools, reading lists, web links and other resources to help bring differentiated instruction to your school.
April 26, 2010
Walk-through observation form ( 428K)
Smart ways to use a SMART Board ( 844K)
Lesson plans and rubrics
Forest Lake writing rubric ( 560K)
Example Project: Landforms
Landforms: Diorama rubric ( 248K)
Landforms: Webquest ( 656K)
Landforms: Multimedia rubric ( 248K)
Landforms: Storytelling rubric ( 244K)
Suggested Reading on Differentiated Instruction
- A Culture of Quality: A Reflection on Practice. Ron Berger (1996) Annenberg Institute for School Reform.
- Shouting Won't Grow Dendrites. Marsha L. Tate (2007) Corwin Press.
- Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites. Marsha L. Tate (2010) Corwin Press.
- Brain-Based Learning: The New Paradigm of Teaching, 2nd Edition. Eric Jensen (2005) Corwin Press.
- How to Differentiate Instruction in Mixed Ability Classrooms, 2nd Edition. Carol Ann Tomlinson (2001) Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD).
- The Differentiated Classroom - Responding to the Needs of All Learners. Carol Ann Tomlinson (1999) Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD).
- Integrating Differentiated Instructions & Understanding by Design. Carol Ann Tomlinson (2006) Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD).
Suggested Reading on Other Topics
- A Framework for Understanding Poverty. Ruby K. Payne (2005) aha Process, Inc. 4th edition.
- Explaining Reading. Gerald G. Duffy (2009) Guilford Press.
- Reading Essentials. Regie Routman (2002) Heinemann.
- Wondrous Words. Katie Wood Ray (1999) National Council of Teachers of English.
- What a Writer Needs. Ralph Fletcher (1992) Heinemann.
Suggested Web Resources from Forest Lake
Here are some of Forest Lake staff members' favorite websites for finding videos, graphics, sound clips, and other assets for lessons.
- Discovery Education
- StreamlineSC - South Carolina ETV
- SMART Technologies
- Study Island
- Super Teacher Tools
- IXL Math
- Teacher Created Resources
- Storybird - Collaborative Storytelling
- EPals Global Community
- tuxpi.com Photo Effects and Picture Frames
- fodey.com - The Newspaper Clipping Image Generator
- Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder
- American Memory from the Library of Congress
- History Detectives from PBS
- Library of Congress
- NASA Global Research in Climate Modeling
- Smithsonian Education
- Storyline Online
- NASA Kids' Club
Forest Lake Elementary School
Grades K-5 | Columbia, SC
Enrollment592 | Public, Suburban
Per Pupil Expenditures$4281 School
Free / Reduced Lunch65%
5% English Learners
Data is from the 2009-10 academic year.
What do you think of Schools that Work?
Tweet your answer to @edutopia.