Find and share strategies for helping students read for knowledge, write coherently, and think critically about the written word.
- Has the recent uptick in diverse characters in children’s literature translated into authentic representation? One team of researchers used artificial intelligence to investigate.
- A library media specialist shares logistical tips for using a book vending machine to build a strong reading community at your school.2.3k
- To become better readers, Natalie Wexler says, students should grapple with abundant, high-caliber texts in the elementary grades—not just skills and strategies.1.4k
- Some schools are changing the way they teach reading—based on research that shows background knowledge is more critical to comprehension than general skills like ‘finding the main idea.’38.3k
- The number one concern that I hear from educators is lack of time, particularly lack of instructional time with students. Although we can't entirely solve the time problem, we can mitigate it by carefully analyzing our use of class time.116.7k
- A look at a few popular literacy practices that shouldn’t make the cut—along with fresh strategies that experienced teachers and literacy experts recommend instead.22k