Which Reading Strategies to Try, and Which to Ditch
Research shows that some popular activities for reading instruction don’t actually result in more fluent readers—so we rounded up the most classroom-worthy ones.
August 19, 2021
Looking for the resources cited in the video?
- 2012 paper on why reading logs don’t work, by Sarah S. Pak and Allyson J. Weseley
- 2012 article on why round robin reading is ineffective, by Katherine Hilden and Jennifer Jones
- 2008 study on intrinsic motivation and reading engagement, by Barbara A. Marinak and Linda B. Gambrell
- 2019 report on the problem with finding the main idea, by David Steiner and Jacqueline Magee
- 2006 article on how background knowledge strengthens reading comprehension, by Daniel T. Willingham
- 2011 study on the benefits of whole-class choral reading, by David D. Paige