Daniel Goleman is an internationally known psychologist, author, and science journalist. Goleman wrote the New York Times bestseller Emotional Intelligence; his latest book is Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence. Goleman is also a co-founder of the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL). Keep up to date with Goleman on Twitter or on his website.
View Individual Videos on YouTube:
- Daniel Goleman: The Emotional Atmosphere of a Classroom Matters (1:10)
- Daniel Goleman: Three Kinds of Focus (1:33)
- Daniel Goleman: Distraction is the New Normal (1:24)
- Daniel Goleman: Breathing Buddies (1:48)
- Daniel Goleman: Attention is Like a Muscle (1:16)
- Daniel Goleman: The Importance of Downtime (1:34)
- Daniel Goleman: Parents Teach Focus (1:34)
More Edutopia Resources for Cultivating Focus
- BLOG: Helping Students Develop Focusing Skills
Edutopia blogger Maurice Elias shares a classroom activity that helps K-8 students develop their ability to focus and pay better attention.
- VIDEO: How to Get Students Ready for Learning
Teachers at Mount Desert Elementary School in Northeast Harbor, Maine, use proven Responsive Classroom techniques -- such as relationship-building morning meetings and engaging student-led activities -- to get students focused and ready to learn.
- ARTICLE: How To Start a Meditation Program in Your School
Training, consistency, and trust are keys to successfully implementing a meditation program in school.