In this section, you will find materials and resources for teaching about how to incorporate authentic assessment into the classroom, whether you are conducting a two-hour session or class or can spend a day or two on the topic.
We believe you will find much here from which you can build a set of experiences tailored to class participants for the purpose of exploring comprehensive assessment.
SUGGESTED READINGS AND VIEWINGS
More Edutopia.org Resources on Comprehensive Assessment:
- Edutopia's Comprehensive Assessment Core Strategy page
- Article: "Assessment for Understanding: Taking a Deeper Look"
- Video: "An Introduction to Comprehensive Assessment"
- Article: "Studies in Success: A Survey of Assessment Research"
- Video: "Assessment Overview: Beyond Standardized Testing"
- Article: "Comprehensive Assessment: What Experts Say"
- Schools That Work Package: "Comprehensive Assessment: A New York Success Story"
- Article: "Toward Genuine Accountability: The Case for a New State Assessment System"
- Article: "Measuring What Counts: Memorization Versus Understanding"
- Article: "Assessment: No Single Measure Tells the Story of Student Achievement"
- Package: "Reinventing the Big Test: The Challenge of Authentic Assessment"
- Article: "10 Takeaway Tips for Authentic Assessment"
- Article: "How you can replicate authentic assessment in 5 minutes, 5 days, 5 months, 5 years..."
- Article: "Healthier Testing Made Easy: The Idea of Authentic Assessment"
- Article: "Standardized Testing Fails the Exam"
- Resource Roundup: Free Resources and Downloads for Authentic Assessment
- Discussion Group: Assessment
- Blog: "Tame the Beast: Tips for Designing and Using Rubrics" by Andrew Miller
- Resource Roundup: Resources for Understanding the Common Core State Standards
Top Edutopia.org Case Study Videos on Comprehensive Assessment:
- Ongoing Assessment at Faubion Elementary School in Portland, OR
- Formative Assessment at Forest Lake Elementary in Columbia, SC
- Reteach and Enrich strategy at Mesquite Elementary in Tucson, AZ
- Project Assessment at Newsome Park Elementary School in Newport News, VA
- Authentic Assessment for Algebra at School of the Future in New York, NY
- Authentic Assessment for Humanities at School of the Future in New York, NY
- Kinetic Conundrum Project at King Middle School in Portland, ME
- Ongoing Assessment at Mott Hall School in New York, NY
- Performance Assessment at Aviation High School in Seattle, WA
- Using a Fishbowl at KIPP King Collegiate High School in San Lorenzo, CA
- Presentations of Learning at High Tech High School in San Diego, CA
- UrbanPlan Project at Alameda High School in Alameda, CA
- Comprehensive Assessment at Mountlake Terrace High School in Mountlake Terrace, WA
- Performance Assessment at Urban Academy in New York, NY
Additional Resources Elsewhere on the Web:
- American Educational Research Association
- Authentic Education Consulting
- National Center for Research on Evaluation, Standards, and Student Testing
- Student Assessment and Standards (Stanford Center for Opportunity Policy in Education / SCOPE)
- Assessment Reform Network (The National Center for Fair and Open Testing)
- Alternatives to High-Stakes Testing (The New York Performance Standards Consortium)
Reports and Readings
- The National Educational Technology Plan 2010 (U.S. Department of Education)
- "Inside the Black Box: Raising Standards Through Classroom Assessment" ( PDF -- Phi Delta Kappan)
Tools and Rubrics
- Edutopia: Success Stories for Learning in the Digital Age
- Creating & Recognizing Quality Rubrics by Judith A. Arter and Jan Chappuis
- Tales of Thinking by Paul Carreiro
- Assessment in Educational Reform: Both Means and Ends by Robert W. Lisitz and William D. Schaffer
- Meaningful Assessment: A Manageable and Cooperative Process by David W. Johnson and Roger T. Johnson
- Why We Assess Students -- and How: The Competing Measures of Student Performance by James E. McLean and Robert E. Lockwood
- A Practical Guide to Alternative Assessment by Joan L. Herman, Lynn Winters, and Pamela R. Aschbacher
- Educative Assessment by Grant Wiggins