Research Made Relevant Video Series
Edutopia's new video series, Research Made Relevant, is about connecting theory to practice. In each episode, we explore cutting-edge ideas about teaching and learning from the world of research, meet educators who are putting them to the test in their own classrooms, and give you lesson ideas, tools, and resources to try new ideas in your own work.
More Edutopia Videos and Resources on Teaching Grit:
- BLOG: Teaching Grit: Social and Emotional Truth: Vicki Zakrzewski examines the emerging concept of 'grit' - what it is, what it isn't, and whether this is something that is best taught or encouraged.
- BLOG: Teaching Grit: How to Help Students Overcome Inner Obstacles: In the second of her two-part series about grit, Vicki Zakrzewski looks at how to encourage self-perception and emotional management in an academic setting.
- VIDEO: Teaching Grit Cultivates Resilience and Perseverance: Teacher Amy Lyon has created a curriculum based on researcher Angela Duckworth’s ideas about grit. Fifth graders set and work toward their own long-term goals, learning valuable lessons about dealing with frustration and distractions along the way.
- Grit Curriculum Overview (PDF): Informational one-sheet about Amy Lyon's curriculum, which teaches grit through a foundation of optimism, self-control, and perseverance.
- Grit Lesson Plan: The Perseverance Walk (PDF): Download the lesson plan for the Perseverance Walk assignment seen in the video.
- Grit Student Worksheet: The Perseverance Walk (PDF): This worksheet includes instructions and sample questions for the "gritty" interview.
- VIDEO: Grit Curriculum Lesson: Setting S.M.A.R.T. Goals: Setting long-term goals is a key part of learning to be gritty. Teacher Beth Perkins helps her fifth graders evaluate their real-life goals to understand the elements that make up the best ones.
- Grit Lesson Plan: Setting S.M.A.R.T. Goals (PDF): Download the lesson plan for having students set meaningful and attainable goals.
- Grit Student Worksheet: Setting S.M.A.R.T. Goals (PDF) : This chart allows students to fill in their S.M.A.R.T. goals.
Learn more about Amy Lyon and her grit curriculum at her website, Bit of Grit.