Bookshelves and study carrels? Digital learning commons? Or something in between? Discover how educators are using and reimagining their school libraries.
- Ten ways to work with your highly trained colleagues in the library to enhance literacy instruction.
- A community raised $6 million to construct an innovative 30,000-square-foot facility complete with makerspaces and learning labs.
- Libraries become a different kind of learning destination when schools reimagine them as open, transparent spaces that invite student communication and collaboration.
- Ten suggestions for how any teacher, teaching any subject can participate in this mission, and how parents and administrators can help.
- From the pedagogy of educational theorists and design thinkers to the passion of tinkers and hobbyists, the Maker movement finds its way into mainstream education.
- An appealing, inspiring collection of books, regardless of content area, is a crucial literacy tool that every teacher should have in the classroom.
- Edutopia blogger Lisa Dabbs shares her enthusiasm for reading with five tried-and-true suggestions for developing a lifelong book habit in young readers who may or may not have discovered the magic of the printed page.
- While libraries and makerspaces are both interdisciplinary, resource-filled places of informal learning, each serves distinct purposes for enriching student experience and school culture.
- Attract students to libraries and other rooms of learning by creating agile, inviting spaces with makerspace elements and, most importantly, a community feeling.
- A 21st-century librarian can inspire a school by modeling responsive teaching, advocating for student involvement, facilitating new approaches to writing, and encouraging user-centered spaces.
- An under-utilized high school library becomes a constant learning organization and a place of cloud literacy where students send their avatars into 3-D virtual classrooms.
- Want to revamp your library? Design thinking may be just the planning tool you need.
- In honor of the 30th anniversary of School Library Month, VideoAmy has produced a list of interesting and insightful videos and resources that explore the future of the school library.