Edutopia finds examples of how technology enhances learning and then spreads the news. Looking back at 2009, here are ten of the staff's favorite features, including magazine articles, videos, polls, and blogs.
Digital Generation Project
This year, Edutopia launched the Digital Generation Project, which profiled ten students and how they use technology. Standout elements of this multimedia package include these features:
- Digital Youth Portrait: Jalen: This video shows how 12-year-old Jalen creates art and produces digital media -- all with the help of technology.
- Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts: Watch how innovative teacher Vicki Davis uses computers to connect her students with the world from rural Georgia.
- Avatars Teach Teens About Self-Image: Teen Second Life can become a forum for adolescents to discuss body image, and this article explores how they redefine beauty.
We also focused on practical articles to help you integrate technology into your school:
- Use Online Video in Your Classroom:How teachers can bring the best of YouTube to students.
- How to Keep School Laptops Safe:Four tips for preventing loss and theft of personal computers.
Polls and Opinions
We love it when Edutopia content generates a meaningful exchange between users. Join these poll and blog discussions:
- How much should schools filter Internet content?
- Technology Combined with Good Teaching Leads to Success: Blogger Heather Wolpert-Gawron starts a conversation on interactive whiteboards.
The Next New Thing
As technology propels education into the future, we're always keeping an eye out on the next new thing. Here are some highlights:
- Video's Objective Eye Helps Educators Evaluate Their Habits: Video cameras mounted on students' heads (by way of baseball caps) can show how teachers are really seen by their class.
- Virtual Libraries Are Teaching Treasures: As libraries expand their Web content, students can access even more knowledge online.
- How to Become More Tech Savvy This Summer: Former blogger Jim Moulton gathered resources for teachers to conquer technology over their summer break. This handy list can be used all year.
Want more? A complete archive of Edutopia technology coverage can be found at our Technology Integration page.