Are you a project-based learning (PBL) school aligning to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS)? Are you a CCSS-aligned district needing to see the connections between the CCSS and PBL? Either way, here are some resources for you, broken down into three categories.
Alignment of PBL and the Common Core
- Project-Based Learning and the Common Core (ASCD, 2012)
This webinar from ASCD and Edutopia blogger Andrew Miller is an introduction to how PBL can not only align to specific Common Core State Standards, but also support CCSS implementation. Sample projects and tips are included.
- The Role of PBL in Making the Shift to Common Core (Edutopia, 2013)
This short blog from the Buck Institute for Education (BIE) explains some of the key shifts in the Common Core and also how PBL can support these instructional shifts.
- Common Core and Project-Based Learning -- Part I (Buck Institute for Education, 2013)
This Google hangout with BIE's Sara Hallerman provides insights into how PBL and the Common Core can complement each other.
- Project-Based Learning and the Common Core Standards (ASCD Whole Child, 2012)
This blog from Thom Markham goes over the major shifts in the Common Core including in-depth inquiry and 21st century skills, and how PBL aligns to what the Common Core calls for.
- Twitter Chat -- PBL and the Common Core (New Tech Network, 2013)
Learn from experts and teachers about how they see PBL and the Common Core connecting, as well as ideas for projects.
- Creating Schoolwide PBL Aligned to the Common Core (Edutopia, 2013)
In this Edutopia blog, Dr. Eric Isselhardt tells the story of how Green Street Academy took the journey of creating CCSS-aligned PBL Projects.
PBL and the Common Core in the Classroom
- Common Core and PBL in the Classroom (Buck Institute for Education, 2013)
This BIE Google Hangout goes over some of the major shifts in the Common Core and how PBL can help teachers design projects that teach and assess Common Core standards, including backwards design and performance assessments.
- Common Core and Project-Based Learning -- Part II (Buck Institute for Education, 2013).
This Google hangout with BIE's John Larmer goes over specific advice for teachers to design projects aligned to the Common Core.
ELA- and Math-Specific Guidance
- Literacy Design Collaborative and PBL (Buck Institute for Education, 2013)
This webinar for BIE shows how you can build CCSS "hardwired" learning modules into PBL Projects.
- Assessing the Common Core Math Standards: Real Life Mathematics (Edutopia, 2011)
In a blog for Edutopia, Andrew Miller talks about the potential to assess Common Core Standards for mathematics with PBL projects.
- Project-Based Learning in the Geometry Classroom (Getting Smart, 2013)
This blog from Getting Smart explains how PBL can occur specifically in the Common Core math classroom.
- Standards for Mathematical Practice = Habits of Mind = Project Based Learning (OCM BOCES, 2013)
This blog from a PBL trainer aligns the mathematical practices from the Common Core to specific essential elements of project-based learning. Joanne Keim helps you see how PBL can meet specific objectives of Common Core math instruction and standards.
- Buck Institute for Education's Project Search (Buck Institute for Education, 2013)
Go to BIE's Project Search to find projects not only by topic, but also by Common Core standards in the elementary and secondary grades.
- 21st-Century Skill CCSS-Aligned Rubrics (Buck Institute for Education)
Common Core-aligned 21st-century skill rubrics will help you teach and assess any PBL Project.
- Common Core Success: Our Curriculum (Expeditionary Learning, 2013)
From a leader in PBL, here is a collection of CCSS-aligned curricula that includes both sample projects and scaffolding lessons.
Do you know of additional resources, or are there other types of resources you'd like to see included? Please share your feedback in the comments on this page.