5-Minute Film Festival: TED Talks for Teachers
This week's announcement of a new initiative called TED-Ed caused a flurry of excitement about the new videos TED is creating to spread powerful lessons beyond the classroom walls. It's not just a new home for education-related TED videos; it's a call to action -- anyone can nominate an outstanding teacher or suggest a fantastic lesson, and the TED team will work with the educators chosen to record and then animate those lessons. You can already see the first few of these gems on the TED-Ed YouTube Channel.
Though it can sometimes feel challenging to find twenty minutes to sit still in our multi-tasking lives, the videos below are worth it.
Video Playlist: TED Talks for Teachers
Watch the first video below, or watch the whole playlist on YouTube.
- Introducing TED-Ed: Lessons Worth Sharing (02:12)
- Sir Ken Robinson: Bring on the Learning Revolution (20:57)
- Conrad Wolfram: Teaching kids real math with computers (19:19)
- Mae Jemison on teaching arts and sciences together (16:19)
- Salman Khan: Let's use video to reinvent education (20:27)
- Dan Meyer: Math class needs a makeover (15:48)
- Dave Eggers: 2008 TED Prize wish: Once Upon a School (24:30)
- Ann Cooper: Reinventing the school lunch (19:43)
- Daniel Pink on the surprising science of motivation (18:37)
- Clifford Stoll: 18 minutes with an agile mind (17:51)
- Emily Pilloton: Teaching design for change (16:44)
- John Hunter on the World Peace Game (20:28)
More Resources for Teaching with TED
You can find many articles with lists of great TED Talks for learning, for teaching, and for just plain compelling viewing. Larry Ferlazzo (@LarryFerlazzo) has compiled a comprehensive list of educator resources for using TED Talks. History teacher Jeff Mummert (@jsmummert) has written a great blog post called "TED Talks Demystified for Teachers". Another resource is this amazing Wiki with lesson ideas paired with great TED Talks, started by Jackie Gerstein (@JackieGerstein). And on this Google Doc of all TED Talks organized by release date (author unclear), you can see them all.