Resources and Downloads for Collaborative Learning
Educators from The College Preparatory School in Oakland, California, have provided these resources and tools for collaborative learning.
Students work collaboratively in many ways to reinforce learning at The College Preparatory School (right), such as working together outside (above) on geometry concepts they learned the previous day in the classroom.
Credit: Zachary Fink
Resources on This Page:
- Collaborative Learning Resources
- Additional Resources and Videos from College Prep
- Useful Websites on Collaborative Learning
Click on any link below to view or download that file.
Tips for downloading: PDF files can be viewed on a wide variety of platforms -- both as a browser plug-in or a stand-alone application -- with Adobe's free Acrobat Reader program. Click here to download the latest version of Adobe Reader.
Collaborative Learning Resources
At The College Preparatory School (College Prep) in Oakland, California, student collaboration happens on a daily basis, from group-centered math assignments, to student-led discussions in English. Below are documents provided by College Prep English teacher Julie Anderson and Math teacher Betsy Thomas.
- English classes at College Prep are conducted around a large, oval table called a Harkness Table.
- Harkness Discussion Guidelines - Overview of Harkness Table discussion guidelines for The Odyssey, Book 7
- Discussion tracker - diagram used to map student participation in roundtable discussions
- Online discussions
Anderson's students often have online discussions prior to in-class discussions.
- Julie Anderson's website - Anderson's public website for students to use for their online discussions
- Online Discussion Guidelines
- Online Responses Guidelines
- Student Responses (example 1) - Sample of online student responses. The assignment for this online discussion was to come up with three questions, one based on the text, one on a discussion question, and one on a personal question. The discussion was about Plato's Allegory of the Cave.
- Student Responses (example 2) - Another example of online student responses. The assignment for this online discussion was to answer one or more of the questions posed by students in the online discussion from the night before. The discussion was about Plato's Allegory of the Cave.
- Note Taking
Student Teaching Days - Handout for students when they are leading the class; includes a calendar and suggestions for the classroom, such as giving short writing assignments, making sure that everyone participates, and creating a unique way of presenting the material
- Math Worksheet - Math worksheet with coded values for the variables (For more about how these worksheets are used, read our tips for collaborative learning)
- Math Template - Template used to assign the coded values for the variables
- Group Test - Example of a group test on constructing angles, proving theorems, and finding the value of angles
- Collaboration Evaluations - Examples of evaluations given to students on their collaboration skills
- Math Worksheet (example 1) - Math worksheet with guiding questions on proving math theorems
- Math Worksheet (example 2) - Math worksheet with guiding questions on Eratosthenes's measurement of the earth's circumference
Additional Resources and Videos from College Prep
- Bell Schedule - Daily bell schedule
- Communication Workshop - Handout from a workshop on communication styles and communicating with faculty and staff
- College Prep Handbook - Parent handbook that includes general information on the school
- Below are excerpts from the handbook:
- Purpose and Philosophy - Overview of philosophy of College Prep that includes respect and consideration for the rights of others, honesty, and adherence to the rules agreed upon by the community
- Academic Information - Summary of all academic information at College Prep, including the grading system and reports, graduation requirements, advance placement, and independent study
- Community Expectations - Summary of community expectations including, attendance, good neighbor policy, and student appearance
- College Prep Homepage
- College Prep High School 2Prep - Optional four-week summer program designed to help prepare incoming ninth grade students for College Prep
- College Prep YouTube Channel
- Applying to High School - Video of advice for applying to College Prep
- English at College Prep - Overview of the English department at College Prep
- Arts at College Prep - Video overview of the arts program at College Prep
- Financial Aid at College Prep - Video overview to help understand financial aid at College Prep
- Sophomore History at College Prep - Video of students constructing a bridge for their sophomore history class, World Civilization
Useful Websites on Collaborative Learning
- Khan Academy - Organization with over 3,000 free videos on math, science, finance, economics, and humanities
- Math Open Reference - A free interactive website with the goal of providing high-quality content
- Phillips Exeter Academy Harkness Table - Website on the history of the Harkness Table
- Phillips Exeter Academy Harkness Philosophy - Website on the Harkness philosophy
- Punahou's Guidlines for Harnkenss Table - Guidelines for a Harkness discussion from Punahou School
- Harkness Tables - Website where Harkness Tables can be purchased