School Leadership: Resource Roundup
Whether you're an administrator or a teacher leader, you will find some great advice and tips in this list of videos, blogs, and articles on school leadership.
Resources by Topic:
Top Leadership Tips For Principals
- School Leaders: Guiding Teachers into the Digital Age by Anne O'Brien (2013)
As more schools integrate technology into classrooms, effective leadership is necessary to achieve new media learning goals. Here, blogger Anne O'Brien offers strategies school leaders can use to help teachers embrace tech tools.
- Six Paths to Better Leadership by Maurice Elias (2013)
Edutopia blogger Maurice Elias outlines six important standards for school leaders to make a difference in the lives of their students and school communities.
- Four Suggestions to Help You Lead by Relationships and Realize Your Vision by Scott Taylor (2013)
Scott Taylor, Assistant Superintendent for the Kenilworth, NJ school district, writes about the importance of leading by relationships in order to realize your vision.
- Leadership Lessons: Ten Ideas to Take into 2012 by Lori Cullen (2012)
Elementary school principal Lori Cullen shares her most valuable lessons of the past year.
- An Open Letter to Principals: Five Leadership Strategies for the New Year by Eric Sheninger (2011)
Eric Sheninger, principal at New Milford High School, shares his ideas on leadership during challenging times.
- Ten Big Ideas of School Leadership by Mike McCarthy, Kathy Baron (2010)
Middle school principal Mike McCarthy shares 30 years of wisdom on how to run a school well.
Becoming a Teacher Leader
- Three Dos and Don'ts of Transformative Teacher Leadership by Jose Vilson (2012)
Edutopia blogger Jose Vilson looks at teacher leadership and some ideas for boosting your effectiveness as a liaison between teachers and administrators. Also check out Vilson's explanation of What Teacher Leadership Looks Like.
- Five Ways to Build a Partnership with Your Principal by Ben Johnson (2012)
Here, blogger and school principal Ben Johnson outlines five helpful tips to help teachers connect with their principals.
- Effective Teams: The Key to Transforming Schools? by Elena Aguilar (2012)
Blogger Elena Aguilar overcame her frustration with teams, and offers these insights into what makes for a successful school team.
- The Seven Characteristics of a Good Leader by Maurice Elias (2011)
Blogger Maurice Elias discusses school leadership through the lens of social and emotional learning.
- What Makes for a Master Teacher? by Ben Johnson (2011)
Blogger Ben Johnson shares his ideas on what kind of qualities define a teacher as a master teacher and invites discussion.
- Becoming a Teacher Leader by Elena Aguilar (2010)
School improvement coach and teacher Elena Aguilar defines what it means to be a teacher leader -- and what it takes to step into this role at your school.
Cultivating and Retaining Great School Leaders
- Don't Be Afraid to Give Direct Feedback by Scott Taylor (2013)
Superintendent and adjunct professor Scott Taylor returns with advice about using reflective questions as a constructive way of delivering direct feedback.
- How Coaching Can Impact Teachers, Principals, and Students by Elena Aguilar (2012)
Effective coaching cultivates leaders in education. Here, blogger and leadership coach Elena Aguilar provides tips for implementing a coaching program.
- How Principals Can Grow Teacher Excellence by Mariko Nobori (2011)
At Cochrane Collegiate Academy, teachers credit their principal with helping them continually improve their practice through effective PD, ongoing support, and mutual trust. More on this school.
- Why School Leaders Need to Stay Put by Heather Wolpert-Gawron (2010)
For better or worse, each member of a school administration affects the learning environment and the academic habitat of a school.
- The Freshman Principal: Recruiting and Retaining Effective Principals by Diane Curtis (2002)
Mentoring programs help ease the pressures of principalship.
- Principals Are Key Players in School Reform by Grace Rubenstein (2006)
Thomas Payzant, the outgoing head of the Boston Public Schools, talks about how to best attract -- and keep -- school leaders.