Overview: Citizen Schools Lessons at a Glance
Citizen Schools offers these lessons for schooling adult volunteers.
Download all of the lessons (364KB)
Lesson 1: After-School Program Essentials
Find out how this after-school program helps kids stay in school.
Learn key concepts and vocabulary of the Citizen Schools after-school program. Read this information first so you can easily follow other lessons.
- Program tenets: community, leadership, access, and skills
- New basic skills emphasized for the twenty-first century
- Apprenticeship, mentorship, and other key terms
Lesson 2: Creating Lessons for Different Learning Styles
Conceptualize a project plan based on the four stages of the learning cycle.
Learn how to develop projects based around the experimental learning cycle. Learn the importance of the cycle and understand concepts embedded in future lessons.
- Background to the learning cycle
- How it's applied in this model
- Tips for using the learning cycle in your lessons
Lesson 3: Tips for Lesson Planning
Start planning your lessons with these tips and activities.
Get tips for building your lesson plans to maximize student learning. Find examples of games and activities for all ages.
- Practical ways to shape your lessons
- Tips so you don't get bogged down
- Human bingo, the name game, and more
Lesson 4: Lesson-Creation Worksheets and Templates
Find templates to help you construct your course outline and lesson plans, and to evaluate your teaching performance.
Start creating your course outline and week-to-week lesson plans. Use worksheets you can download to guide your way.
- WOW plan for outlining the course
- Lesson template and example template for creating your sessions
- Mentor self-assessment for evaluating your performance
Lesson 5: How to Manage the Classroom
Take control of the classroom by assigning roles and setting up learning procedures.
Learn to control the class and encourage positive behavior with classroom-management techniques.
- Classroom role assignments
- Tips for setting classroom procedures
- Information about misbehavior
Lesson 6: Making Your Lessons Stick
Help for gauging students’ knowledge retention.
Apprenticeships culminate in WOW -- or the end product, performance, or presentation. Use it to help assess whether your lessons resonate with students. Plus, find out why teaching back is important to student learning.
- Understanding WOW for student assessment
- The learning triangle
- Importance of teaching back