Although students are evermore connected to the social web, many of these networks remain out-of-class digital playgrounds where students congregate. In a recent survey of 1,000 teachers, just one in five said they use social media regularly with students.
Of course, it can be a challenge to incorporate social media into lessons. There are many grey areas for teachers to navigate, like setting guidelines for instance. But to help teachers navigate this ever-changing landscape of social media tools, here are some of the best guides on the web for four popular networks -- Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest.
- The Teacher’s Guide to Twitter via Edudemic: This a great guide from Edudemic for all teachers -- both the experienced tweeters and those new to the platform. Here, you’ll find everything you need to know about using Twitter in the classroom, including a list of useful education hashtags, search strategies, and ideas for the classroom. Here are a few more ideas for incorporating Twitter into lessons:
- Facebook for Educators and Community Leaders Guide: Published in September by Facebook, this guide is the perfect resource for teachers interested in using the world's largest social network with students. Three main subject areas are covered, including digital citizenship, mobile safety and guidelines for social media at school. The latter of which was co-produced by Edutopia -- "How to Create Social Media Guidelines for Your School."
- "A How-To Guide for Teachers Using Facebook in the Classroom," via Education Week
- "7 Ways Teachers Use Social Media in the Classroom," via Mashable
- Free Parents’ Guides for Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook from ConnectSafely: ConnectSafely is a great source for tips and advice for keeping kids safe on social media. Their comprehensive guides for teens' favorite social networks highlight the risks, privacy settings and strategies for keeping young people safe. Some of educational ideas for Instagram:
- "10 Ways to Use Instagram in the Classroom," via We Are Teachers
- "The Educator’s Guide to Instagram and Other Photo Sharing Apps ," via The Edublogger
- The Educator's Guide to the Use of Pinterest in the Classroom: EducatorsTechnology.com published this useful guide for teachers interesting in using Pinterest with students. Here, you'll find everything you need to get started, including tips for building boards, pinning basics and ideas for using Pinterest in the classroom. Other Pinterest ideas for teachers:
- "The Teacher’s Guide To Pinterest," via Edudemic
- "37 Ways Teachers Can Use Pinterest in the Classroom," via TeachThought