April 2015 marks the 30th anniversary of School Library Month. As our libraries evolve in the age of digital information, they need our help more than ever to stay well-funded and supported so they can grow in their critical role as advocates of technology and information literacy. Should they become learning commons, gathering places for trading information, technology hotspots, makerspaces, or all of the above? The possibilities are wide open, as you'll see in this playlist of videos about the future of libraries.
Video Playlist: Reimagining the Library
Watch the player below to see the whole playlist, or view it on YouTube.
- School Libraries Matter: The Changing Role of the School Librarian (04:42)
A nice snapshot of how the library landscape is changing, from book vault to vibrant school learning hub and tech lab, and why librarians are at the heart of that. Follow the hashtag #SchoolLibrariesMatter for more.
- Imagine the Possibilities (05:05)
This simple slide presentation out of British Columbia has cartoonish art and is a bit on the long side, but it does a great job at describing the vision of what libraries could become.
- Target's 200th School Library Makeover Time-Lapse Video (00:59)
Together with the Heart of America Foundation, Target has a library makeover program that has revamped 200 school libraries in the last eight years. Learn more about the program here and read a critique of the program here.
- Teacher Librarians at The Heart of Student Learning (05:20)
- All About That Book – Griffin Elementary Literacy Night (04:25)
It's about time for a musical interlude, don't you think? How about an adorable flash mob in a Texas elementary school, to promote literacy? Here you go!
- Learning Commons Langdon School (04:14)
Another charmingly low-fi video tour of a Canadian K - 9 school's library that has been transformed into a "learning commons." I like how the narrator guides you through the reasons behind their changes. Learn more about the learning commons concept in this Edutopia blog.
- Children's Library Furniture & Interior Design by BCI (02:50)
Squarely in the pie-in-the-sky inspiration category is this silent slideshow from library furniture design house BCI. The bright colors and modern shapes are sure to get those creative juices flowing!
- New Jersey High School Getting Creative With Makerspace (01:59)
- Libraries in the Internet Age (02:39)
In his trademark clear and concise manner, Lee LeFever of Common Craft explains how libraries have evolved in our technology-saturated era to remain just as relevant as ever.
More Resources on the Future of Libraries
Far from the stern and shushing stereotype, teacher librarians and library media specialists are poised to become key innovators and advocates for multiple literacies in our schools as we move forward. And libraries around the country are becoming hives of activity, centers for connection and creation as well as consumption of content. How will you support your school's library?
- "How To Create the 21st-Century School Library of Your Dreams," by Margaret Sullivan via School Library Journal
- "Library Design Showcase 2012: Super Schools," by Greg Landgraf via American Libraries Magazine
- "Climbing to Excellence: Defining Characteristics of Successful Learning Commons [PDF]," by David V. Loertscher and Carol Koechlin via American Library Association
- Robin Hood Foundation's Library Initiative
- "Flip This Library: School Libraries Need a Revolution," by David Loertscher via School Library Journal
- "Toward A Learning Commons," by Pamela Harland via School Library Monthly
- "What Does the Next-Generation School Library Look Like?" by Luba Vangelova via MindShift