Every year, National Teacher Day is celebrated in early May! There are so many different ways to show teacher appreciation, from poems, to thank-you notes and gifts. But I thought I'd put together a little bit of everything. Here there are inspirational teaching quotes, fun video clips, and a database of educator discounts, to name a few.
But these are just a couple of ideas; let us know how you're celebrating this year. Here’s one from the Edutopia vault: VideoAmy's Five-Minute Film Festival for Teacher Appreciation Week.
- Quotes about Teachers: At the end of the year, maybe this thought makes the most sense: “When all else fails, pray for a fire drill.” Even so, there are plenty of reminders here of just how appreciated teachers are.
- Ideas and Activities for Celebrating National Teacher Day: The National Education Association’s page provides ideas for celebrating in class, in the community and with the local education association. Along with this resource, you can also celebrate teachers by posting to your favorite social media sites using the hashtag #ThankATeacher.
- Teacher Appreciation Week Ideas from the PTA: Do you want to honor a teacher dedicated to teaching? Well, the PTA wants to help. With thank-you note and certificate templates, information about awards for teachers, and ways you can show your support, this is an extremely useful resource.
- Teach for America Teacher Discounts Database: This is a one-stop-shop for teacher discounts. Not only does the database feature discounts at popular retailers; there’s also links to tuition forgiveness programs, educator grants and other benefits for teachers. Another great blog from Best Colleges Online highlights 100+ stores that give teacher discounts.
- Larry Ferlazzo’s Funny Teaching Film Clips: Edutopia blogger Larry Ferlazzo highlighted some humorous teaching clips suggested by readers on his personal blog, and there are some really entertaining videos here. Another blog, Best Places to View Teachers in the Movies, also features some really great clips. So if you’re feeling under-appreciated, there’s plenty here to put a smile on your face.
- Teachers Must Appreciate Their Own Nobility: Alright this one is from 2010, but Vicki Davis, who pens the Cool Cat Teacher Blog, makes a great point in this post. It’s the end of the year, you’re probably feeling a bit of stress, and ready for it all to be over. But Vicki offers some advice and words of wisdom to finish the year on a high note and appreciate the nobility of being a teacher.
Originally Published April 13, 2014