The video series A Year at Mission Hill has continued to encourage discussion, gather support, and inspire offshoots of wonderful new content, like "Line One, Page One," a compelling and poetic video produced by UK Filmmakers Veez Nixon and Christian Britten for Ashoka's Start Empathy Initiative, as part of a video series to complement Mission Hill. And if you haven't seen it yet, it's also worth a visit to the excellent Prezi on Mission Hill, which continues to expand as more chapters are released.
If you'd like to start at the beginning, first read Mark Phillips' blog post about the project, and then you can dig in to chapters two and three here, and chapters four and five here. New videos are published every two weeks, and you can find wonderful resources from a host of great organizations on the series website. I'm pleased to share chapters six and seven here.
Chapter 6: Like a Family
Cultivating nurturing and safe spaces for students to grow and learn is a challenge every school must face. See how the educators at Mission Hill build community not just in the classroom, but with parents and families as well.
A Sample of the Resource Links for Chapter 6
- WATCH: Flipping the Script - Changing Our Educational Paradigm (IDEA: The Institute for Democratic Education in America )
- READ: Schools, Families, and Social and Emotional Learning (CASEL)
- LISTEN: Large Schools Going Small (Learning Matters)
- DO: Build Community Through Academics (NEFC/Responsive Classroom)
Chapter 7: Behind the Scenes
How do you foster a campus environment where the adults feel supported to be lifelong learners along with the children? The teachers and staff at Mission Hill show how collaborating and leaning on each other helps all of them create a better place for kids to thrive.
A Sample of the Resource Links for Chapter 7
- WATCH: Leading Together: Building Adult Community in Schools (Center for Courage & Renewal)
- READ: What Happens When a Great Teacher Walks Into a Burger Joint? (Ashoka's Start Empathy Intiative)
- LISTEN: StoryCorps - Karen & Amir talk about teacher mentorship and leadership (Eagle Rock School)
- DO: Try Pairing Up with a Colleague and Teaching Together (NEFC / Responsive Classroom)