School Leadership: Resource Roundup
Whether you're an administrator or a teacher leader, you will find some great advice and tips in this list of videos, blogs, and articles on school leadership.
Resources by Topic:
Top Leadership Tips For Principals
- Leadership Lessons: Ten Ideas to Take into 2012 by Lori Cullen (2012)
Elementary school principal Lori Cullen shares her most valuable lessons of the past year.
- An Open Letter to Principals: Five Leadership Strategies for the New Year by Eric Sheninger (2011)
Eric Sheninger, principal at New Milford High School, shares his ideas on leadership during challenging times.
- The Seven Steps to Becoming a 21st Century School or District by Ken Kay (2011)
Ken Kay, CEO of EdLeader21, kicks off a two-month blog series on how education leaders can build critical thinking, communication, collaboration, and creativity into their educational system.
- How Principals Can Grow Teacher Excellence by Mariko Nobori (2011)
At Cochrane Collegiate Academy, teachers credit their principal with helping them continually improve their practice through effective PD, ongoing support, and mutual trust. More on this school.
- Ten Big Ideas of School Leadership by Mike McCarthy, Kathy Baron (2010)
Middle school principal Mike McCarthy shares 30 years of wisdom on how to run a school well.
- Edutopia's Educational Leadership Discussion Group
Connect with other teachers and administrators working to move schools into the 21st century in our Educational Leadership discussion group.
Becoming a Teacher Leader
- The Seven Characteristics of a Good Leader by Maurice Elias (2011)
Blogger Maurice Elias discusses school leadership through the lens of social and emotional learning.
- What Makes for a Master Teacher? by Ben Johnson (2011)
Blogger Ben Johnson shares his ideas on what kind of qualities define a teacher as a master teacher and invites discussion.
- Becoming a Teacher Leader by Elena Aguilar (2010)
School improvement coach and teacher Elena Aguilar defines what it means to be a teacher leader -- and what it takes to step into this role at your school.
- Outstanding in Your Field: What It Takes to Be a Great Teacher by Ben Johnson (2008)
An educator questions the meaning of excellence in teaching.
- Pride of Profession: Striving to Become a Great Teacher by Ben Johnson (2008)
Further reflections from administrator Ben Johnson on educator excellence.
Cultivating and Retaining Great School Leaders
- Why School Leaders Need to Stay Put by Heather Wolpert-Gawron (2010)
For better or worse, each member of a school administration affects the learning environment and the academic habitat of a school.
- How to Give Your School Leader a Grade by Rebecca Alber (2009)
Rebecca Alber shares her thoughts on what makes a good leader.
- The Freshman Principal: Recruiting and Retaining Effective Principals by Diane Curtis (2002)
Mentoring programs help ease the pressures of principalship.
- Walking in Their Shoes: What I Learned as Principal for a Day by Milton Chen (2008)
Our executive director emeritus Milton Chen shadows a principal for a day and comes to understand just how tough it is to be a school leader.
- Where Have All the Principals Gone?: The Acute School-Leader Shortage by Jimmy Guterman (2007)
Superintendents struggle to fill the school's top job, once considered a plum educational post.
- Principals Are Key Players in School Reform by Grace Rubenstein (2006)
Thomas Payzant, the outgoing head of the Boston Public Schools, talks about how to best attract -- and keep -- school leaders.
- Principles for Mentoring Principals: Suggestions for Effective Mentorship by Carl Weingartner (2002)
How to successfully take on this important responsibility.