This post was created by a member of Edutopia's community. If you have your own #eduawesome tips, strategies, and ideas for improving education, share them with us.
6 456 Views
Dear Colleagues, The Occupy Movement is growing fast and defining some common core issues relating to undeniable harsh economic realities, that even the new generation of teenagers can relate to and understand: The Banks and Big Corporations and Top 1% of Wealthy People do not resemble or represent anything close to the Reality of The Other 99% of Us … Those of us from the “60's Generation” of Social Change have a history in our consciousness: the Civil Rights Movement, the Vietnam Anti-War Movement, the Women's Movement, the assassinations of national and cultural leaders, the demise of the Soviet Union, the computer and internet revolution, and now the new class of wealth: Billionaires… I am not here criticizing “wealthly people”, I am simply referring to the growing concentration of wealth and the simultaneous demise of the Middle Class of America, the New Endangered Species… You can obviously study and discuss the social and economic impacts of international out-sourcing of American jobs to third world countries… That is a critical historical phenomenon unprecedented in American History. This link to an article for Social Studies and Economics is not an endorsement of Mother Jones Magazine, but simply a profound summary and classroom resource for discussion of Current Events, that are becoming daily Media Events for your students to question and understand. http://motherjones.com/environment/2011/10/food-industry-monopoly-occupy... All comments and questions are welcome, this is Real Stuff Happening Now, so I would encourage teachers to discuss and help each other prepare curriculum materials for engaging your students in Living History... Sincerely, Allen Berg