Project Based Learning Resources
I am sure these resources have been mentioned before, but looking at this discussion, I don't think it would hurt to restate some basic resources again.
Two resources that I recommend when implementing service learning projects would be the "Buck Institute for Project Based Learning", and "The Complete Guide to Service Learning" by Cathryn Berger Kaye. Both books provide directions on how to implement service-learning projects in the classroom. In my opinion the Common Core Standards are written with service learning in mind. The standards want the students to learn through real world activities, service learning is a real world activity.
Here are some steps to follow when looking for a community service learning project:
7. Identify your project. This should b done with the youth giving ideas of what they want to do.
8. Assess the needs of your project.
9. Do some research on the organization(s) you have in mind for funding your project. Make sure their mission and vision matches your organization’s mission as well as your project’s mission.
10. Do not rely on only one source for your project.
11. Have a budget. Again, this is a place where students can do the work.
12. Connect with an organization that will assist your students.
Resources for Project Based Learning:
6. Edutopia.org http://www.edutopia.org/php/biglist.php?id=037 this site has blog posts, ideas and videos on what to do in the beginning, middle and end of your project. I have found the blog post to be resourceful.
7. Youth Service America has a new resource kit that is downloadable. http://tools.ysa.org/downloads/modules/youth-changing-the-world.pdf
This is a step-by-step guide to assist your organization in your project goals.
8. The Youth Development Guide http://bit.lyZPBwrr
is for afterschool service learning projects. The guide will help provide hands-on examples of how to encourage practices of service learning.
9. Service Learning Clearinghouse http://www.servicelearning.org/ is a website which provides resources for funding and parent/volunteers.
10. National and Community Service http://www.nationalserviceresources.org/service-activities/service-learning provides funding sources, toolkits and online library sources.
Encouraging our youth in building community awareness with support from adults is an invaluable experience for our future. Learning about yourself and the world using service-learning projects will help improve our youth.