This week, there might be a bit of Super Bowl energy and excitement running through your classroom, and there are a number of great ways to wrangle those murmurs into teachable moments.
This Sunday, February 3, the San Francisco 49ers will face the Baltimore Ravens in Super Bowl 47, and we here at Edutopia, like most football fans in Northern California, are excited to root for the hometown team. If you're looking for ways to incorporate the Super Bowl into your lessons, here are some links to resources around the Web. There's a little bit of every subject -- from media studies, to math, science, and the arts.
- Videos: The Science of NFL Football: These insightful and interesting video lessons feature several lessons for students, covering topics like geometry, nutrition, and Newton's Laws of Motion. At Lessonopoly, there's also a great list of accompanying lesson plans.
- Super Bowl Mania -- Creating Cross-Curricular Lessons That Score Big: Although this Scholastic article was produced for the Super Bowl in 2012, the ideas can be easily updated. Here, author Addie Albano provides ideas for math, language arts, science, and geography lessons framed around the Super Bowl.
- Learning about Music with Touchdown Songs: ARTSEDGE from The Kennedy Center produced this lesson plan for teaching about football using music. The lesson is designed for students 12-18 years old and covers fight songs, half-time sounds, and music from NFL Film.
- Super Bowl Math from Thinkfinity: Featuring several lesson plans for football-related math activities, this resource has ideas for every grade level. Students will be challenged to use their math skills to calculate odds and probability from football games, and there's also a lesson that looks at sports rankings. There's also a great list to outside links, as well, including "Swish! Pow! Whack! Teaching Onomatopoeia Through Sports Poetry," from ReadWriteThink.
- The Best Sites Where ELLs Can Learn About the Super Bowl from Larry Ferlazzo: Blogger and educator Larry Ferlazzo has been updating this list for the last few years, and there's plenty of valuable links throughout. Included in the list are links to podcasts, articles about Super Bowl history, and Super Bowl ads. There's something for every classroom.
- Top 12 Super Bowl Related Activities for the Classroom: This TeachHUB resource from last year provides 12 great ideas for incorporating the Super Bowl into classroom lessons. There's a wide range of ideas, from nutrition lessons to commercial analysis and writing projects.