Five-Minute Film Festival: April Fool's Day!March 30, 2012 | Amy Erin Borovoy ...
April Fool's Day has a long and illustrious history of pranks both large and small -- so much so, that sometimes real news stories published on April 1st get written off as fake. For teachers and students, it can be a chance to blow off some steam. There's no denying that sometimes it can go too far -- which probably makes more than a few educators glad when it falls on a weekend!
Whether you're the type to pull an elaborate hoax on your students or take the opportunity to teach about media literacy and how to identify accurate news stories, here are a few videos to make your inner trickster laugh. Happy All Fools Day!
Video Playlist: April Fool's Day!
Watch the player below to see the whole playlist, or view it on YouTube.
- The History of April Fool's Day (02:21)
Does anyone really know how all this tomfoolery got started? Find out in less than three minutes.
- April Fool's 2010 - Decreased Gravity (04:56)
This teacher goes to great and well-researched lengths to trick his fifth-grade class... with hysterical results.
- Kids describe their best pranks on April Fool's Day (02:26)
Absolutely adorable second- and fourth-graders talk about their pranks. Keep your eyes peeled for rubber spiders!
- April Fool's: Math Class Shadow (02:14)
A long-time favorite with over five million views -- a smart and tech-savvy instructor gets creative with his projector.
- Spaghetti Harvest (1957): Voted #1 April Fool's Prank in History (02:23)
Historical footage of the spaghetti harvest of 1957, delivered completely deadpan by the BBC.
- April Fool's 2010 - A Prank on Dwyer (04:30)
One mischievous student + one hungry teacher + one doctored Oreo cookie = giggles.
- Best Pranks of the Last 100 Years (04:04)
Vsauce brings us the best and most high-profile pranks in the last century.
- Post-it Note April Fool's Prank 2009 (01:59)
This one wins for sheer dedication to the cause. What a lot of work for these high school seniors!
- Google Hoaxes and April Fool's Day Pranks (02:33)
Google is known for getting in on the April Fools action with elaborate hoaxes every year. What will this year's trick be?
- VIS April Fool's Day FlashMob (02:16)
I'm completely amazed that all of these students managed to keep still for three full minutes!
- April Fool's: Orchestra Practical Joke at Middleton HS (00:55)
Cost of a cheap throw-away violin: $80. Faces of students when the instructor... watch to find out! Priceless.