Comments (30)

Comment RSS
co-founder I am Bullyproof Music

Our two sons attended a

Was this helpful?
+2

Our two sons attended a progressive elementary school (public) in Santa Barbara. It was extraordinary! I so agree, as a teacher and a mom, that allowing students room to breath creatively is a fabulous approach. My sons are perfect examples of what happens when kids are given more space to be themselves. I have been hearing for years "Your sons are so deep!" They also both did great in strong colleges after never even having grades in elementary school. My oldest, who attended Berkeley, told me once "Many kids burn out at this school because they don't know how to be self directed. I don't have a problem with it." Not to be a gushy mom, but both of my sons are also funny, positive, and care about the world. I TRULY believe that first school they attended planted all those seeds.

I just wrote their old teacher a letter of appreciation last night after all these years. Funny I should happen upon what you've written today of all days. SO agree with everything you say here. Thank you for saying it :-)

I listened to your student's song. How wonderful! Naturally, since I teach SEL with music, I must give you and your sweet student a standing ovation!

Community Manager at Edutopia

There's been talk about

Was this helpful?
+1

There's been talk about Google stepping back from 20% time, but Ryan Tate just wrote an interesting article for Wired about why the idea of 20% time won't die:

http://www.wired.com/business/2013/08/20-percent-time-will-never-die/

Here's a relevant quote: "The core idea behind 20 percent time — that knowledge workers are most valuable when granted protected space in which to tinker — is more alive in Silicon Valley today than it ever has been before, reports of Google killing its program notwithstanding."

Instructional Coach

I love this idea. What a

Was this helpful?
0

I love this idea. What a great way to get kids excited about school and owning their learning! I also agree that getting them excited about their own "20%" will spill over excellence into the other 80% of the day.

Education Specialist

Gordon, if students have 20%

Was this helpful?
+1

Gordon, if students have 20% of a 180 student day calendar then they have 36 days of creative time; if we had this time 100% of the day we could do as the Finnish have done, shorten the day, shorten the year and grow our kids exponentially!

Education Specialist

Philip, I hope you find the

Was this helpful?
+1

Philip, I hope you find the visit richly informative! Please keep us informed of your perceptions post-visit.

7th Grade Learner-in-Chief, Room 129, Challenger Middle School, CO

Re: Jefferson County Open

Was this helpful?
0

Re: Jefferson County Open School.

I am not far from there and will see if I can visit. Thanks for the heads up.

7th Grade Learner-in-Chief, Room 129, Challenger Middle School, CO

I am familair with

Was this helpful?
+1

I am familair with Summerville and appreciate what they do. It will be a rare public school (not non-existent, just rare) that operates the way they do in the U.S. But I certainly believe many schools can be a bit more like them, without having to go all in.

Middle school social studies teacher in Idaho

Do the schools listed teach

Was this helpful?
0

Do the schools listed teach the average population, or are the more selective private schools? I'm not trying to cast stones, but would your model work in a public school?

Education Specialist

Philip, if you would like to

Was this helpful?
0

Philip, if you would like to see what this looks like when its done 100% of the time, take a stroll over to Jefferson County Open School in Lakewood, CO.

Education Specialist

Or you could do this 100% of

Was this helpful?
0

Or you could do this 100% of the time as some schools have done for over 90 years, Free Schools, i.e. Summerhill, Sudbury Valley Schools, Second Foundation School, Gaia School.

see more see less